Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - New-To-Me Authors


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish

Top 10 New To Me Authors I read in 2013


1. Kristin Harmel - I was fascinated with The Sweetness of Forgetting and can only hope she writes something else similar in the near future.

2. Charles Belfoure - I could not put down The Paris Architect...such a fresh & unique story from a much-written-about time period. Pretty sure this is his first work of fiction.

3. Jodi Picoult (I know, I know!!) - yeah, so I had never read anything by her before, always seemed too "sappy" or "depressing"...anyway, a friend told me about The Storyteller and the Holocaust story line...so I HAD to read it. And it was a fabulous book. I'm not necessarily sold on reading any of her other works, but I thoroughly enjoyed The Storyteller.

4. Julia Heaberlin -I absolutely loved her book "Playing Dead" and it looks like she had another published this year. I may have to try it!!

5. Rob Buyea - great middle school books, especially Because of Mr. Terupt...which I used with a group of 5th graders as book club. Everyone loved the book!! Bonus: filled with great school & life lessons.

6. Beatriz Williams - I really enjoyed reading A Hundred Summers...great characters and great writing.

7. John Green - yeah, I'm late to the game on this one too, but I finally DID pick up The Fault in Our Stars and it was just as great as everyone had said. Not sure I'll read everything Green has written, but I was pleased with what I have read!

8. Mary Alice Monroe - I read two of her books this year and was pleased with both. I will likely read more of her works as she tends to write alot about South Carolina, specifically the Charleston area and I LOVE IT THERE!!

9. Liz Trenow - I read The Last Telegram this year and found it to be a great WWII story. Creative story line for a much-written-about timeframe...and just happens to be my favorite type of historical fiction to read. 

10. Adriana Trigiani - ok, so I'm cheating here because I actually read The Shoemaker's Wife late December 2012, but close enough, right? I would DO anything to find another book like this one. Holy Moly! Amazing! Loved it...I figure when I can still remember ALOT about the book an entire year (and 50ish books) later, then it must have been good!!!


No comments: