Monday, July 27, 2015

crash & burn

1) For a while now, I've dabbled with the idea of starting a new blog - you know, the kind with it's own address (not here on Blogger) and with the eventual potential of earning money (via ads) or at least becoming part of a blogging community. I have 3-5 topics I would discuss regularly there and feel like i know enough about them to make this work. And quite frankly, I'm tired of reading everybody else's blogs like this...I want my own!

2) So yesterday, I did a TON of research (thank you Pinterest) to see just about how one goes about this. I pondered (many hours) on a blog name and finally this morning came up with one I felt was "just right"...broad enough to cover my topics, yet with a sort of key word in there to identify a connection to one of the major topics I would be writing about.

3) This afternoon, I set out to set up said blog site. Set up the hosting site and then began to design/create/assemble. Most research I found said to use Wordpress. So I did. They have only 3 FREE templates. None of which I LOVED...but I chose one and started trying to tweak and adjust things here and there. Not much luck. After at least 90 minutes of this, I wanted to quit. I contacted the hosting site and asked to cancel. The guy offered me a much lower rate...and suggested I try using Weebly instead. After 60 minutes using Weebly, I asked to cancel again. And did.

4) I feel like a technology idiot. Granted, I have never taken any sort of HTML or other website making type class, but these sites are supposed to be easy to set up...what the heck!!! Oh and if you are wondering why I didn't just set it up here...blogger doesn't allow you to make $$ off your blog here and transferring it over to Wordpress later is apparently a nightmare. *sigh*

5) So that was my Monday. A big fat technical fail. I still want to do this, but not sure what my next steps will be.

6) I'm thankful I had a great 3 mile run this morning and enjoyed a few hours at the pool with Ethan...that saved the day from being a complete disaster. :)

7) I guess going forward, I'll just focus on my running training and reading. And making crafts like this one....

And finding great info like this...

How Yoga Makes You a Better Runner: Poses for Runners #infographic

2 comments:

Travel & Dive Girl said...

You're not alone - I've tried using both of those sites too and got frustrated and gave up. They are not using friendly and the Wordpress free templates and not nice. Who wants to pay $79 for the premium templates? Not me. Hopefully your blog idea will come to see the light of day.

~**Dawn**~ said...

I had no idea Blogger didn't allow you to blog-for-profit. Huh. Good thing that isn't on my personal goals list, huh? LOL