Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Books I Read in 2013


1. Best Book(s) You Read In 2013? 

Looking for Me - great story, great writing...just great, great, great!!!
The Paris Architect - unique storyline from WWII Holocaust era. Amazing book!
The Last Original Wife - girl power!! Loved it!
The Land of Mango Sunsets - full of great characters!!
A Hundred Summers - great beach read.

2. Most Disappointing Book? 
Unfortunately this year, I discovered quite a few of these...particularly in the beginning of the year... Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore - the description sounded fabulous, the book, however, for me, was not. Comeback Love - another that really drew me in with the description, but then I found it was completely political. Ick!

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book? 

Playing Dead by Julia Heaberlin

4. Book(s) you recommended to people most in 2013? 
The Sweetness of Forgetting by Kristin Harmel

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

Divergent-Insurgent-Allegiance - truly enjoyed this series, though I did struggle a big through the last one. Seems to be a trend as I felt the same way about Mockingjay (HG #3).

6. Favorite new author(s) you discovered in 2013?
Kristin Harmel - I guess she's not technically new, but she is new to me and I absolutely LOVED her book, The Sweetness in Forgetting.


7. Most thrilling, un-put-down-able book in 2013? 
The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. This is the 1st book I've read by Picoult and I was pleasantly surprised...of course the fact that this book contained WWII history helped tremendously. LOVED THIS BOOK!!

8. Book you most anticipated in 2013? 

I was anxiously awaiting the release of Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman. I loved Saving CeeCee Honeycutt so much, I could not wait for Ms. Hoffman's next book! I was not disappointed as LFM was a fabulous read!!

9. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman

10. Most memorable character in 2013? 
Lily Dane from A Hundred Summers...you just can't help but be her cheerleader!!
11. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman
12. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 
Raising Happiness by Christine Carter PhD. I read this as part of a book club with parents at my school. It was helpful for me as a parent AND a school counselor!
13. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It was just as good as everyone said!!

14. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?

"Some days I wake up and think How did I get here? It's like one day, you just realize you're not young anymore, and you already made your choices, and now it's too late to change anything." The Sweetness in Forgetting, Kristin Harmel
15. Authors you want to read more of in 2014? 

1 comment:

Beth Hoffman said...

Wow, Krystyn! I'm thrilled and honored to see my novel on your Best Books of 2013 list. Thank you so, so much. I'm glad you loved the cover, too! The paperback has a new cover and I'll be posting a pic soon.

Happy New Year to you and yours!