Thursday, August 14, 2014

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts


Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they’ve encountered during the week, etc.).
*********************************************************************************


1. If you know me well, you could have guessed that #1 on this list would be Robin Williams. Here's the thing...I've NEVER been one to get all caught up or really that upset about celeb deaths, I mean, I'm not heartless, they are sad but I'm just not a pop culture follower and so I move on quickly....NOT the case this time. Four days later and I still have heartache over this. I've read A TON of  comments and articles on-line and it seems like Robin left us all feeling like we lost an uncle or a brother. Somehow through the magic of all that he was and did, we all felt SO close to him and are feeling a tremendous sense of loss. I anticipate it's gonna be a while until I'm feeling "better" and he's not passing through my mind every couple minutes. And I just can't stop asking "why?"...why it had to happen? why he was left alone? why did he die in the way that he did? It's just all so sad and yet sad isn't even a strong enough word.

2. We are on day #3 of school...so far so good in my neck of the woods, but certainly that will change...I have a TON of scheduling work to do, which I keep procrastinating. Yikes.


3. Currently reading 3 books...oops. How does that happen? Still plugging away on Skeletons at the Feast - almost done-yay!! Also reading Masterminds & Wingmen...only a few pages in really. Also picked up Flora & Ulysses - hoping it would be good for a school book club...it's a cute story, but not sure it's book club material.

4. Speaking of book clubs...I have my book club meeting tonight. We are discussing Wife 22, which I read ages ago so I will likely have NOTHING of value to contribute to the discussion since I don't remember it well and have read at least 30 books since. Oof!!

Bout of Books
5. I'm all signed up (again) for Bout of Books - starts on August 18th...my goal is simply to exceed the # of pages I read last time...which will be a challenge considering we are back in school/work. I really need this challenge to happen during the summer. :)

6. I remain frustrated with my knee and inability to run. I've been walking as much as possible, striving for at least 10K steps daily, but honestly, some days it just doesn't happen. And some days I get 15k or more....thing is, walking (alot) is NOT the same as running. My body (and the scale) know that.  Ugh!

7. Need to start a countdown for Labor Day weekend...we are making a mad dash for the beach since we never got there over the summer. Cannot wait!! We leave in 15 days. Woot!!


4 comments:

Brandie said...

I'm the same way - I don't get really worked up about celeb deaths, but this one is so tragic and a huge loss. He was a face of my childhood and I find it terribly sad for his family.

That always happens to me, too - not remembering anything about a book by the time it's time to discuss! Lol.

Yay for Bout of Books! I can't wait!

My Post

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

If I have loved watching the celebrity, I do feel as though it's a personal loss. And especially if we can continue seeing their movies from TV or our personal libraries. Lauren Bacall also died this week, and I have her biography sitting on my shelves, still unread. Sigh.

I need to get to the beach, too! I've been meaning to do that...and there is no reason why I can't!

Here's MY BOOKISH/NOT SO BOOKISH POST

Beatriz said...

Truthfully I think there are few people in this world that can touch so many in such simple ways like Robin Williams. It is always sad when the world loses a good person.

Well good luck with your school year!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I have also been very, very upset about Robin William's death. Why? is exactly what I keep thinking. How could anything be that awful to take one's own life? But I am reminded of the quote: "Ars longa, vita brevis." Art is long, life is short. Fortunately for all of us, we will have his art for a long, long time.