Thursday, October 23, 2014

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they’ve encountered during the week, etc.).
*************************************************************************************

1) I had a fabulous 26 hours to myself when Ethan and his dad went camping w/Boy Scouts last weekend. I went to the YMCA, did some house chores/laundry (which was still fun because the house was silent w/the exception of MY music), went to Starbucks & read my books, dinner w/mom followed by the movie "Best of Me"....I am now madly in love with James Marsden!! *sigh* I stayed up until 1am watching the 5 episodes of "The Mysteries of Laura" that I had recorded...which also rekindled my love for Josh Lucas!! Apparently I am very a bit star-struck...I think it's good that I don't watch much TV. :)

2) Let's just say that today is my least favorite work day of the month. I will be so happy when 3pm gets here. 

3) I've been enjoying the elliptical machine and the past couple times I've actually managed to read instead of watch a movie...I've not had much time for reading lately, so being able to read while exercising has been awesome. Hoping to go again today for a short workout...also tempted not to go at all since it's the ONLY night we have ZERO plans after school...it would be SO nice to go straight home and actually cook a decent dinner. 

4) The rest of this year feels crazy busy. We are headed to Charleston two weeks before Thanksgiving for that awesome Author event with Dorothea Benton Frank. Then 2 weeks later I go to middle-Tennessee for my professional conference and then it's Thanksgiving. Whirlwind. Pretty sure Christmas will be at home this year and though we love to travel at least to SC for a quick getaway, we are trying really hard to just stay put and save money because just two weeks ago we booked ourselves a DISNEY CRUISE!!! I am crazy excited - as is Ethan of course. None of us have ever been on a cruise anywhere nor been to any part of the Caribbean, so this will be a blast for sure. It's not until late June 2015 but that gives us lots of time to save $$ and get everything situated. 

wonderfully wicked read-a-thon
5) I've been doing this Read-A-Thon...trying to anyway...and since it began on Saturday, I have read 270 pages. I'm happy with that considering all the other things in life that get in the way of quality reading time. 

6) I keep track of all my appointments etc. using my iPhone. It works perfect for me. I also LOVE the look and idea of a paper planner, especially all the fun things going on with them these days. I'm on the fence on pulling the trigger in buying one...probably an inexpensive one at first to see if I really use it. I don't have much down time to sit and jot ideas or doodle and so the phone has always worked better for me. Do I want something else to carry around? I also don't like my (poor) handwriting so then my calendar doesn't look "pretty" (yes, that's my OCD issue-I own it!) Can't decide what to do!!

7) Planning to do a practice run of our school Halloween treats this weekend. Found the cutest idea on line somewhere (a crafty blog) and want to give them a try before the very last minute. Hope they turn out. 

8) I wonder how much it would cost to get my own soda fountain machine with Diet Dr. Pepper? Seriously it is so much better than bottles or cans...no comparison.

9) Proud mama bragging moment: I had Ethan's parent-teacher conference yesterday. This week is their first week of differentiated spelling lists. He has 12 words. Used to have 6. These words are all twice as long as the previous words. The teacher told me that there is a group of about 5 kids (this includes Ethan) with these more difficult words. Then she said she needed to bump the words up even a bit more for Ethan. She followed that with that she will probably have a list for Ethan, a list for the group of remaining 4 kids, and then the rest of the class. In other words, he is the top speller in her class. I am so proud!!!

10) I really,really, REALLY wish weekends were 3 days long. They just go by so fast. They are full of errands and things to-do, there is little down time. I'm working this Saturday and so is Oscar. Contemplating going to Boo @ the Zoo (again) on Sunday...we went last week too. Ethan wants to go again. 

2 comments:

Travel & Dive Girl said...

Congratulations to Ethan for his excellent spelling skills. Obviously you need to congratulation yourself as well because you are the season he reads (and of course, can spell).

A Disney cruise!!! How FANTASTIC is that? Something BIG to look forward to next year.

I understand your phone vs. planner thing. I used to always use a planner UNTIL I got my phone, then the phone became easier, but now I still end up carrying around a small notebook for those lists, doodle moments. I miss my planner. Go for it - give it a try.

Hope you have a great weekend!

~**Dawn**~ said...

I always loved spelling words when I was in school. I even took an advanced vocab class my senior year of high school...for fun! LOL!