Thursday, April 23, 2015

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they've encountered during the week, etc.). 
************************************************************************************************

1) I'm still plugging away on the C25K plan and on Tuesday I did Week 4, Day 1 and hit the WALL!! It was the first day of the workout plan that I couldn't completely run every running segment...so I will be re-doing that one today and possibly even Friday. I want to be able to successfully complete each day of the program before moving on. Just seems like the outcome will be better that way. And I was SUPER close to completing it successfully, but the 2nd 5 minute run segment just killed me. :(  I've also started a 21 day arm workout challenge. I like the 5 different exercises and wonder if I should have bought 5lb weights instead of 3lbs. Oh well....I'll just do more repetitions to offset the light weights.

2) Oh I found so many fabulous pins on Pinterest yesterday...while I was maybe attending a staff meeting...ahem. Anyway... I made a "Summer 2015 To Do List" ---this summer will be longer for us because our school is undergoing some construction as well as the building of a new cathedral...so kids don't start until after Labor Day this Fall. The bad news: not many days off during the school year and a REALLY short summer in 2016 as we go back to an August start that Fall. Oh it's gonna be rough people!!

3) Anyway, back to Pinterest...there are many home projects I want to do, but let's face it...Oscar would rather work for other people at THEIR houses and GET PAID, then do much of anything at our house...yes, it's terribly frustrating, but I have no place to complain since he's taking us on the Disney Cruise in June. Sooooooooooooo, I found some projects that I (think) are totally doable ON MY OWN - or with Ethan.  For one, we are totally going to make these:
 Dole whip popsicle Recipe - An awesome twist on our favorite snack from Disney World. Perfect for showing your Disney side at home.

4) I think Ethan and I will enjoy making some of these "worry stones" and I will bring them to work in the Fall and either distribute a couple to each teacher to share with their students that need them, or give them out directly from my office...haven't quite decided on that piece yet, but they sure look fun to make!! Aren't they pretty?
If your a social worker check out this woman's blog. OMG she seems amazing. I love her ideas and what she does with her groups.

5) I've had this on my "Home" board for a looooooooooooooooooooong time...I think this is the summer I make something like this...need to start collecting my rocks so we don't have to buy them!!
Three ways to make a pebble mosaic. One is to work in small molds, build a mold, pour a cement mix into the bottom and arrange your pebbles on top. A second is the “upside-down” method, one builds a mold and pours a layer of sand into it, then arrange your stones in the sand and fill the top with cement. When dry remove  mold and brush away sand. Third way, have everything prepared and by your side, and then pour small areas of cement , onto the prepared subsurface and push stones into cement.

6)  This is another that's been on my "to-do" list for a while...the grass on the north side of our house hardly grows at all and is completely fugly...so I say, let's replace it with this!! Yes, I can do it!!! Needless to say I'm totally over my ugly backyard too...remember that from an earlier post!!
Love this! pallet wood walkway

7) And on those rainy summer days...this will be the project...though I don't know if it will be the exact same shape as it seems these are only available online and I know I can purchase wood letters at AC Moore or other craft store. And probably a lot cheaper too. As for the wine corks...I already have those from a bulletin board I made ages ago and really no longer use...not to mention it is SUPER heavy, so I will disassemble the corkboard and use the wine corks for this instead! Yay for recycling!!
Need cork ampersand DIY » Fun gift idea.

8) 24 days of school left. Yahoo!!

9) And while there are only 24 days of school left, I opted IN for teaching 2 weeks of summer school...the pay for that is better than my regular FULL TIME pay...completely pathetic, yet true. At least I'll have extra spending money for the cruise! Hooray!!
6178648
10) And I guess I should put something in here about books....I'm almost finished with Nothing to Envy...this was a book chosen for a new book club I am in and being totally honest, I was not happy to learn of this selection. Ugh..it's about ordinary people and their lives in North Korea. Now that I am almost done with it I must say that I am happy to have read it. It's been eye opening and heart-wrenching and quite unbelievable. I always knew the country was a mess, but to really hear what those people have been put through is shocking. 

1 comment:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...


Those popsicles look delicious! And so many fun projects. I do love Pinterest, for its ability to inspire me to just sit there and drool.

Here's MY BOOKISH/NOT SO BOOKISH POST