Thursday, September 03, 2015

Bookish & Not-So-Bookish Thoughts

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they've encountered during the week, etc.). 
************************************************************************************************

1) It's Thursday already and as suspected I have not blogged since going back to school. While I cannot say I am surprised, I am slightly disappointed...already I have NO "free" time....and we haven't even started 2nd grade (and homework) yet. :(


2) I'm currently reading Judy Blume's new book "In the Unlikely Event" and so far, so good. It's been a quick, easy read and if it weren't almost 400 pages, I'd say I'll be done soon.


3) When I finish with the Blume book, I plan to attempt reading "Mindset"...it's THE book on Growth Mindset - which is what everyone and their brother seems to be talking about these days - at least in the education world. I heard the book is somewhat dull, but the information is good. I'm kind of a fan of research, so the book may not seem dull to me...it's based on many years of her research.

4) This may the year I do not reach my Goodreads goal. Just coming out of summer and I'm 8 books behind. It was not a productive reading summer...even with reading 13 books. :(

5) Still working on the big dream...things have been up and down in that arena. It's still insanely challenging to get into the big "D" with mid-level, professional position. That bums me out to no end because it's simply not feasible nor reasonable to relocate to take a job that pays $10/hour, which is what most of their "front line" (entry level) jobs pay. However, with the way things have gone these past few days for me, the Housekeeping positions they are hiring for right now are looking more and more appealing. #jokingnotjoking


6) Did some networking today with a 20+ year Cast Member which is how I gained a lot of that info above. I reached out to him because he just took on a new role and I was hoping that would mean he'd have positions to fill. He's been very kind when I've contacted him (twice now...1st time was a couple years ago) and says he'll keep his eyes & ears out for me. He also said the bilingual piece is valuable there and to market it heavily...I could likely land a job in the Reservation Center tomorrow, but (1) not a fit for me and (2) crummy pay. If I already lived there, this would be so much easier.

7) I really hope my running training pays off in this upcoming 5k race I have later in September. *crossing fingers*

8) I really enjoyed the CrossFit classes I did and felt like they gave me a good workout - I was sore for 3 days after the 2nd class...but I have decided not to join in September...maybe in October. The first time you sign up, they REQUIRE you to sign up for 5 weeks unlimited, so it's quite costly. If I'm going to make that kind of investment, I want to be able to go as much as possible, but in September I wouldn't be able to because Ethan will be playing Fall baseball and if they have any practices, that will also take up some workout time. I'm hoping to be able to join possibly in October. I think it will be great strength training for the running races I'm signed up for. 


9) Another perk to relocating to FL, is that I could run a whole lot more of their races. In addition to that, if you run a race in FL and also CA in the same year, you get an additional medal for completing the Coast to Coast Challenge...as if I needed another reason to live in FL.


10) I'm happy for the upcoming long weekend. We had made an agreement to stay home for Labor Day weekend, but then last Sunday afternoon, O decided we are going to SC for one last look at the beach. I tried talking him out of it, but no luck..so it's off to the beach we go...no complaints from me. HaHa! I was just trying to be responsible so we could direct the funds to pay down some bills. Oh well, I'm looking forward to enjoying that chicken sandwich at Poe's on Saturday afternoon. Woot! And I am planning to RUN across the Ravenel Bridge, if not all the way - at least 3/4 out and then back.

No comments: