Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things encountered during the week. **************************************************************************************


1) I'm working my first "Wednesday before Thanksgiving" in the last 6 years. *sigh* At least it's super quiet and we get out at 2pm, so I guess it's not really all that bad.
Image result for thanksgiving 5k

2) Hoping I have the self-discipline to wake up early Thanksgiving morning and get to the Turkey Trot. The route is fairly flat and simple, so I really shouldn't miss it, but parking may be a bit of an issue and I hate dealing with parking matters. I was thinking it was also going to be cold, but looks like it will be in upper 40s, almost 50, so that's not too awful. It will also be my last race of the year. 

Image result for new food network magazine

3) I received the latest publication of the Food Network magazine yesterday and holy smokes, really regretting not going to Pastry School. I want to go home and bake all the cookies. I'm thinking of setting a goal of baking (or attempting to bake) 10 new cookies this holiday season. There are a few at least in the FN magazine I'd like to try. Ten may be a bit lofty but it's worth a try. 



4) As I've mentioned before, the parenting gig is not for sissies. Ugh....I learned of a peer relations "issue" yesterday evening from Ethan - he told his music teacher and I overheard from the waiting room...I don't think he thought anything of it, but it's a HUGE issue....and now I get to work on having that resolved. I feel bad that I sent the teacher an email on the first day of Thanksgiving break, but this needs attention at 745am on Monday when everyone returns. I was so upset about the whole thing that I woke at 3am and could not fall back asleep for 45 minutes or so. That hasn't happened to me in ages. I'm usually pretty wiped out every day and don't have a problem not being able to sleep. 

 
5) Still plugging along reading "the keeper of secrets"...I'm about 70% done so hopefully I will finish it in the next couple of days. If anything, I can finish it on Friday on our 5 hour drive to SC. I cannot wait to have lunch at Poe's Tavern...and buy a new shirt there too!!! Love their long sleeve shirts. So comfy.

Image result for exhausted
6) Most of my reading time these days is coming while I'm on the treadmill or elliptical machine...I've been so tired at bedtime, that I rarely do any reading then anymore. I think this new job is (still) kicking my butt in terms of schedule. Ugh! I'm also super tired (fed up) with getting on the treadmill every.single.day just to reach my 10k steps. It used to be SO easy to get 12k or more daily. Not the case anymore and I'm getting up and going for walks during the workday too. Yesterday I finally said "eff it" and went to bed with only 8,400 steps....which secretly "kills me". Oh well...I just don't have the time or the energy anymore...and now it all makes sense why my mom never wanted to do anything after she got home from work when I was a kid. There was NO flex time. She got off at 5pm and had a 30 minute (at least) commute from Downtown Detroit. Ugh. I would hate that too.

Image result for nothing bundt cake red velvet
7) I tossed the traditional Thanksgiving desserts to the side this year and ordered a Nothing Bundt Cake this year. Red Velvet. It's going to be amazing!

8) This makes my heart hurt so, so bad. Those poor moms.

9) The struggle with Ethan to read continues. I have resorted to getting picture books from the library, usually new ones that I've read about in cyberland having won an award or such. He doesn't fight me on reading these and I figure it's better than nothing. He's reading, just not reading to his fullest ability. *sigh* I'm still buying him books for Christmas! Ha!

10) Geesh...OrangeTheory is super annoying. I called them over a year ago to inquire and (mistakenly) gave them my phone number. As much as I'd like to try their workout, they do not offer child care and are not conveniently located. They call me at least once a week! Ugh! I'm always at work when they call and I never recognize the number so I have not yet been able to tell them to quit freaking calling me, but I really need to tell them. 

No comments: