Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Bookish & Not So Bookish Thoughts

Look at me....trying to blog twice in the same month....miracles do happen. I anticipate this being a "book-heavy" post and therefore it will also be a Bookish & Not-So-Bookish post.

1. I've never been successful with audio books - when they are novels, but low and behold, I am more successful (with paying attention) when they are informational/self help type books. A friend recommended Creating Magic by Lee Cockerell (former Disney CEO) recently - a book on leadership, and having just moved into a Supervisor role at work, I figure there is a lot I can learn from the book. I'm about 1/2 way through it and not only do I like it, but he's definitely made some great points.


2. On a not so bright note...I find that I still have some low moments and maybe a tear or two here and there over Mr. (Not-So) Wonderful. I guess what bothers me most, well, there are 2 things actually...the suddenness of it -everything was fine, and I mean totally fine - great conversations the week everything fell apart, even what you would consider "deeper" conversation...,like who does that if they are planning to break up...which is why I still don't "buy" his reason(s)...yes reasonS because he kept changing them during our phone call...which only tells me he really wasn't sure with what he was doing. He even said he wasn't planning on it when he called...what? So that's the 2nd part that bothers me...never really knowing what was/is going on with him. Pretty sure I've since pissed him off by my reaction to his "out-of-the-blue-dumping" me so I doubt I'll ever hear from him again. What is most frustrating is that I liked him so much that I'm having a hard time remembering HE  ROYALLY EFFED up and dumped me ON MY BIRTHDAY WEEKEND after saying we were going out to celebrate my birthday that weekend. This was so unexpected too as I really believed he was a good (great) person...now I'm not sure which is the real him...the one I knew for 6 weeks or the one I talked/texted with the last 2 days...who was mean and cold. I really need to just forget him - too bad that seems to be next to impossible for me right now...so I at least need someone to come along and distract me from him. I don't want to think about him anymore...it's too painful. Going forward, I'm taking a "man's approach" to dating for now...no emotional investment...no hopes that it'll work out & overall, just not caring...just looking at it as fun and a free dinner or drinks....totally not the real me...but it's the only way I know how to protect my heart. 



3. Back to reading...easier topic...same complaint though - so much to read, so little time...I'm reading The Blinds, which was a BOTM book ages ago. I started taking it to the pool over the summer since I can't see my iPad at the pool. I'm only about 30% done with that one. I have been reading The Invisible Bridge for what seems like eons as well...probably started it in January...it's too long but I'm so far in, I can't give up and just need to finish it. I think it's around 700 pgs....I'm almost to 500 I think. 

4. I recently purchased Daring Greatly & Rising Strong by Brene Brown. I have been "on the fence" with her for a few years after reading The Gifts of Imperfection and not thinking it was "all that" but I'm gonna give her a try again. I've also pre-ordered her new book that comes out in October calling "Dare to Lead"...which should be really good, again for my new "leadership" role at work. Yay!

 

5. Confirmed travel to FL for Fall Break and couldn't be happier. Woohoo! I am so glad it worked out and I cannot wait to get away (from real life). Haven't been to the beach all year so it's a much needed getaway.

6. Fitting with the rest of my life lately...my MUD "hope" bracelet broke last night...kinda symbolic...no hope/loss of hope....etc...LOL...at least I can laugh about it a bit. On the brighter side, I ordered a replacement already.

7. I'm back in physical therapy for my hamstring(s)/legs...after my MRI, my orthopedic doc sent me to a different PT guy who seems to be much more advanced than where I was going. This guy specializes in working with athletes so I'm super stoked about that. Turns out that the root problem is in my pelvic bones and the fact that they move and they shouldn't!!! Ack!! As a result, it appears one leg is slightly longer but only due to the bone position. We are working on getting the bones back in place (!!!) and then will work on strengthening the legs & core which will eventually help offload some of the work from the hamstrings. I have so many exercises to do now, it's like having a second job.

8. I've never been a big TV watcher, but I did watch the Jack Ryan series on Amazon Prime...it was pretty good and hopefully they'll do another season. I then started watching Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton...and it's ok. Then recently I caved and upgraded my HULU to include the local live channels...definitely enjoying that right now and it's still not as expensive as cable.

9. Lastly, after much thought & debate, I added my extra bedroom to AirBNB...and in less than 24 hours, I had 3 nights reserved and now have 4. Pretty excited about making some extra money and I really hope it takes off and more reservations come in. One lady who booked one night so far says she will likely book quite a few more as she will be coming out to work on the hurricane damages once it's completely passed and she can travel to that area.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Is it weird that I've always sort of wanted to go to PT? I have some hip issues and my ortho went straight to a cortisone shot. Boo.

Good like with the Air BNB project! I love looking at their site but haven't yet stayed in one. I just can't get past my love of hotels and not having to make my bed, haha. I think one of these I'll take the plunge, though, since there are so many cool little cabin and stuff not far from where I am.