Thursday, April 03, 2014

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they’ve encountered during the week, etc.).

1. I love this weekly prompt. I love it SO much that it's practically the only time I seem to get around to blogging. 

2. This has been a 'rougher-than-most' type of week. Seriously, for the past month or so things in life had been going fairly well. On Monday, a couple people decided to turn my work world a bit upside down. So instead of feeling certain about the immediate future, I'm contemplating some changes. This is both good and bad.

3. I am so very thankful for only 10.5 more school days until a 4.5 day long weekend. Happy Easter!!

 7026533
4. Reading this for the last 5th Grade book club of the school year. I'm only 20 pages in, but so far, so good.

 11065441
5. I decided to read this one after I read Eleanor & Park, primarily because this one was written for adults vs. YA...I'm just about done with it and it's been an enjoyable read. A nice break from my usual WWII Historical Fiction reads.

6. I've been spending a lot of time being "introspective" and doing some serious thought about friendships. For some reason, it's an area I struggle in and to this day I am not really sure why. I mean, really, I don't pick my nose in public or have any other strange behaviors that would frighten someone off. I feel that I make significant efforts to maintain friendships i.e. extend invitations, being considerate, thoughtful, sharing books and/or scrapbooking goodies and other random things friends do. I also feel that I am a pretty darn good listener - the counseling degree helps of course- but yet in the end, I feel that I am constantly the one putting in more effort to friendships and frankly I'm tired of it. My time is just as worthwhile as any one else's and yet I don't feel that some of my friends feel that way. I get the whole "i'm so busy" thing because you know what....I'm busy too...yep, even though I "ONLY HAVE 1 CHILD"...which seems to make people think I'm not very busy. I'm just really saddened and in a bit of a funk about this whole scenario. And then there's the whole thing where they clearly spend time with other friends, but don't have time for me...thank you Facebook & Instagram for that. Ugh. What am I doing wrong?

7. Looking so very forward to a little "date-night" with Ethan tomorrow night. O has to work late so E and I will run some errands, go to the gym and then the mall for dinner & make some returns. I'm so glad he's such a fun little guy to be out & about with.  We always have such a good time.

8. I wish I had a whole lot more time for reading every day. This could be a regular on this list.

9. I bought myself a Fitbit...3rd times a charm. I tried the Flex bracelet but I wear jewelry bracelets so that just didn't work for me. I got myself the Zip this time and I love it. It's super motivating to try to get to those 10,000 steps every day and it's NOT easy. I work in a school so I'm naturally getting more steps than someone who sits at a desk all day but it's still a challenge to get the 10k. I have to purposefully go for a walk in order to reach my goal and even then it can be hard. Last night we had just a little time after we got home to go big-wheeling (walking for me) and I still fell short with only 8100 steps all day. Darn.  If you have a Fitbit, let me know so we can be friends and challenge each other. 

10. I still miss running...especially since I weigh 9lbs more today than I did one year ago. I hate that.

4 comments:

Beatriz said...

The Fitbit sounds fun. I remember your running posts, how's your knee doing?

As for the friend thing, you know what it's hard all around. It is very difficult to make those meaningful connections as a child, damn near impossible as an adult. You would think it would be easier - you know the whole I'm finally mature thing - but I think it just becomes more difficult because by now we know what type of stuff we will not tolerate. Catch-22.

Anonymous said...

#2 Sometimes things happen that can force change. Do you know what? Whenever this has happened to me (or to people close to me) it has ALWAYS ended up better than it had been. Little set-backs/ change thrust upon you, also makes you more determined.Scary but good. Best wishes :-)

Christine said...

I'm so glad you're participating! And that it's getting you to blog!

I hate it when life gets into this wonderful comfortable-ness and then things get turned upside down. I know change can be good, but it forced change can be frustrating.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the weekly blogging event! :)

Glad to hear you enjoyed Attachments. It was my first Rainbow Rowell novel (heard so many good things about her stuff from her YA novels) :)