Thursday, April 07, 2016

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things encountered during the week. **************************************************************************************
8431768
1) I'm barely finishing this book which was for our April book club meeting, which occurred last Sunday. Oops!! I had been holding out on the library for the e-book, you know, to save me $8.00 (every penny counts) but the library let me down and still by the Monday AFTER book club the book had not come through for me so I had to buy it on Amazon, but turns out I waited too long (Tuesday) and couldn't get the book done in time. *sigh* It's a good story though so I'll finish it.


18209268

2) Americanah is the book club pick for May. Initially I was NOT excited about this book AT ALL. Ugh...I thought. The gal who picked this one also picked the book on North Korea last year. That I also dreaded. And then found terribly interesting. I'm hoping this one follows that pattern. I also "discovered" that this author wrote "We Should All Be Feminists" and also did a TedTalk on it, which I watched and found absolutely fabulous....I'm intrigued...I'll probably end up reading that book too!


3) Little League Baseball is finally underway. We've had 2 practices so far and another on Saturday. I made a choice this year to register Ethan in a league closer to our house and away from those we go to school with. There are a few reasons for this. I have already seen that I made the right decision and couldn't be happier.

Image result for color me rad
4) On Saturday, my mom, Ethan and I are running and walking the Color Me Rad 5k here in town. I'm super excited to get covered in color and take great pictures. That's what this "race", which really isn't a race since it's not timed, is all about. Now let's just hope that we don't freeze out there as it will likely only be in the 30s that morning...that is just WRONG. Ugh!!

5) I've struggled with losing Hula more than when I lost my last cat, Tango, which was also an awful experience. Oscar actually said I handled losing Hula better, but I think it's because more of it is inside me and he hasn't seen it. (He's gone during the week for work too) And a lot of it has to do with helping Ethan through this awful process. Ethan didn't really interact with Hula all that much, but losing her has definitely impacted him. I'm also struggling with some guilt that I didn't brush her as much as I should have, or I didn't spend as much time with her as I should have etc. When I looked through my pictures for pictures of her, I had a TON before February 2008 and then none for a few years until maybe 2011-2012 a few started popping up. Ethan was born in Feb 2008 and I get that this is probably a "normal" or "typical" situation, but nonetheless, it makes me feel a bit guilty. And sad. One consoling thought is that I made sure she had her medicine and gave it to her daily for 12 years. I feel like I took the best care of her that I could at the time and even though right now it doesn't feel like it was enough, I'm learning to accept the situation for what it was. #coping


6) As I searched high and low on Amazon for a book on pet loss...I found this. And I bought it. It made me feel good. Proof that retail therapy works.


7) I love this phone case...and may have to buy it. Clearly part of my coping with losing Hula is buying all the cat "stuff" I can...


8) I was off work yesterday (sick day for appointments)...didn't need the whole day but took the rest of it as "mental health day"...you know what I mean...so after dropping E at school (in my workout clothes like a REAL stay at home mom), I went to Weigels to get my Diet Dr. Pepper, dropped a pkg at the post office, came home, picked up toys in living room, swept the floor, did laundry, made the bed, did the finances & some blogging. I had all of that done by 10am at which point I headed out for an 8 mile run. Damn...talk about productive....and it just once again re-affirms that the best gig in town is a stay at home mom and while this may ruffle some feathers, I still stand by and say that it's WAY easier to be a SAHM than a working (outside the house) mom. I'd rather clean, sweep and run errands all day every day than deal with political bullshit that exists in EVERY single workplace I've ever been in. And if you are a mom that CHOOSES to work....good for you...it's not a choice for me and that makes a BIG difference. That is all. Moving on...


9) Oscar and I are going to see The Book of Mormon on Sunday night. I bought these tickets what seems like a bazillion years ago. Not sure even if our seats are good or great, but I'm just happy to be going. I live for Broadway musicals...the only thing that could make this better is if I were seeing it in NYC. *sigh*  Still so excited!!!

10) I'm starting to regret/worry about having signed up for two 1/2 marathons two days in a row. Oh boy. No turning back now I guess. 

2 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I love that phone case....and the angel! I have a collection of these, not all on display these days, as too much dusting involved. LOL

But they are the best.

I have done the SAHM, and also the working outside the home, and I loved having the opportunity to have done both.

But now that I'm retired, I am loving that best of all. Money coming in (pensions) and time to do whatever I want. But the downside? Well, we're kind of OLD. LOL.

Here's MY BOOKISH THURSDAY POST

Christine said...

Americanah is AMAZING. It was one of the best books I read the year I did read it... so maybe 2014?