Monday, October 18, 2010

planning ahead

Thinking about the holidays already....E and I are (were?) supposed to fly to DFW at some point around Christmas to stay with my aunt for a few days.

At $425+ per ticket, I don't see that happening.

It's a 14 hour drive. I've always thought that it is a bit much, just myself and the little guy, but I'm starting to re-consider. I REALLY want to go to DFW, especially with having so much time off this year. And I know my aunt really wants us to visit, I don't want to disappoint her.

He didn't do great on our last long road trip (FL - July) but we weren't in our car (if that matters), but he did great on the trip to FL in March, so I guess it's a toss-up on how he would do from here to TX.

Is 14 hours in a car realistic for me and a 2.5 year old?

5 comments:

Travel & Dive Girl said...

We always started out really early, so that our guy was still asleep when we put him in the car. That way, we were well along before he woke up. With a few stops along the way for some exercise and snacks, he should be fine.

Beatriz said...

I don't know if Southwestern is an option for you where you are but they have pretty good prices most of the time. Maybe you should check them out?

*krystyn* said...

Unfortunately, Southwest doesn't fly into/out of Knoxville. :(

Kimberley said...

Is there any way you can split it up into 2 days? Or would that maybe cause more upheaval then being in the car for 14 hours? Another option is driving at night. When I was a kid we would always leave at night and my little brother and I would sleep most of the trip.

emilysuze said...

Totally doable. Plus, then you'll have your car there with you so that you have a little more freedom. Enjoy your holiday in Florida!