Sunday, November 25, 2012

Immigrant Stories Challenge - While We're Far Apart


I signed up for this challenge late in the year, but since I am typically drawn to books that take place around WWII time, they often easily fall into this category as well. I am finally getting around to writing up some brief reviews of the books I've read for this challenge.

Up first is While We're Far Apart by Lynn Austin.
While We're Far Apart
Taking place during WWII, though set in NY as opposed to Europe, I really enjoyed this book as well as the characters within. There were a couple of characters whom I became somewhat frustrated with, but their personalities were pivotal to the story. I was happily surprised in a couple of different places in this book. There were a couple of story lines in this book but keeping up with the characters was not difficult for me. They were so well written that I had vivid pictures of each of them in my mind as I read. Of all the WWII books I have read, this one included the most detail with regards to the Jewish people and their many traditions which I found so very interesting. In the end, I truly enjoyed watching Penny grow up and gain self confidence throughout the book. I gave it 4/5 stars on Goodreads.

No comments: