Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Immigrant Stories Challenge - The Last Time I Saw Paris

The Last Time I Saw Paris

Claire leaves NYC and heads to Paris after her husband catches her in a lie about her past. Her former lover is there and she plans to look him up with the hope that he will provide her a "cushy" lifestyle once she gets there. Claire believes Paris will be her perfect home despite the fact that the Nazis are preparing to invade. To say she was ignorant of what was happening around her would be an understatement. She is so wrapped up with socializing and schmoozing, particularly with a German soldier in the first scene of the book. Claire doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb in the box and she is rather selfish at times, to the point of making completely ridiculous decisions. 

Once she became involved with the resistance, the story got REALLY good and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think if there had been less of her personal drama and more about how she worked with the resistance the story would have been even stronger. It was rather pleasant to see Claire move from a materialistic, socialite to a woman of bravery, compassion, and heart. She goes to extremes, putting her selfishness aside, to help save the people she has come to hold quite dear. 

I gave this book 3/5 stars on Goodreads, but would have given it 3.5 if that were an option. Overall, I enjoyed the book...another from my much preferred WWII timeframe/genre.

1 comment:

Booksnyc said...

I love books set in this time period. Thanks for linking it up to the Immigrant Stories Challenge - it is new to me!