Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Immigrant Stories Challenge - The Baker's Daughter

The Baker's Daughter

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, written with two intertwining stories, spanning from Germany to El Paso,  TX (who thought of that connection?).  The story is centered around Elsie and Reba, Elsie being from 1940s Nazi Germany and Reba from modern day El Paso, TX.  I found this book very easy to read as the words flowed effortlessly throughout. There are a number of relationships within the story that kept me anxious to pick the book back up and continue reading. While I enjoyed both main story lines, it is no surprise that I found myself much more interested in Elsie's experiences as a German who loved her country but who did not approve of what was happening. Historical fiction of this time is my preferred genre. And as an extra bonus - there are lots of recipes at the end too!! 

I gave this book 4/5 stars on Goodreads.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I'll have to add this one to the list. Love this genre of historical fiction too!

Booksnyc said...

I definitely want to read this one - thanks for linking it up to the Immigrant Stories Challenge!