Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they've encountered during the week, etc.).************************************************************************************************
1) I'm not typically one to take part in controversial topics or the latest news story, but today I am making an exception. Another shooting. This is really getting out of control and the fact that it's becoming almost "common place" is frightening. I am saddened for all those affected. I am infuriated by those people who scream "gun control" and think that taking everyone's guns away is the answer. I'm not even a "gun-lover" and realize this is NOT the answer. Have these people not heard of the black market? Or the other billion places people who are determined to engage in terrorist acts will get their guns. They will find a way. Gun control will not eliminate mass shootings. Rant complete.
2) I mentioned a while back that I was not going to do the December Daily scrapbooking project this year. I thought I would regret not making an attempt at it once all the pictures started popping up on IG and blogs...but I am happy to report that I am completely happy with my decision and seeing others pictures actually stresses me out because I just can't imagine trying to keep up with that right now.
3) I think instead of a yearly reading goal, I should set a yearly buying books goal. I would surely meet that goal, right? I can't believe I have only read 38 books this year...especially when the last 4 years I have read 50 or more. Sad.
4) I officially have a girl crush. After watching all of The Mindy Project episodes and reading her two books (and laughing my ass off)...I just LOVE Mindy Kaling. Can't help it. I hope someday she does a talk or book event somewhere near me (because we know it won't be IN Knoxville - nothing cool happens here, ever!)...I have to see her!!! I should probably buy hardcopies of her books to have...they are keepers for sure!!
5) So I caved and started reading The Fringe Hours. It was all "hyped" up in the crafty/scrapbooking world and then a friend said it was really good so fine, I'll give it a try. I'm 15% in (whatever page # that is!!!) I hate % in books by the way. Anyway, I feel like I'm using my "fringe hours" reading a book that I really don't need to read when I could be using those "fringe hours" to read something I might enjoy more. Does that make sense? Anyway, I'll keep going but I've already become irritated with one women she interviewed who just had "too much to do" (welcome to the Club) and even though she could "hire more people" (!!!) to help her, she still needed to do a lot of things herself that were filling her plate. Well, damn....wouldn't life be easier if we all had the ability to simply "hire more people"?!?! Ugh.
6) Last night a friend was hosting a fundraiser at Salsarita's for the Children's Hospital....and since this is Ethan's #1 place eat, you bet we were there. It worked out really well too because we had been wanting to see The Good Dinosaur and so we did that after dinner. It was (another) late night not making bedtime even once this week. Oh well. I was just happy I squeezed in a 30 minute walk on the treadmill and a few exercises. The movie was cute, though I may have dozed off for a few minutes in the beginning...oops!
7) Since I hurt my leg/hamstring and have not been able to run, (40ish days now!!) I also quit weighing myself as the results are directly tied to my daily mental health...seriously. Well, this week with a new treadmill installed at home, I felt re-motivated to get my act together even if I'm not running...at least every day I KNOW I can make my 10k steps and get in a good fast-paced walk. So I got back on the scale and while it wasn't fabulous news, I was happy to see that I was only up 3lbs since the injury and already this week I've come down 1lb. I can live with that. For now.
8) I've reached that FIRST nightmare Christmas experience where my kid wants something that is SOLD OUT everywhere* and has been for months. The Jurassic World Lego Indominus Rex Breakout set. It's a $105ish Lego set...not something we would have typically bought "for no reason" when it was out months ago and of course now we are out of luck. Then the other day Ethan said "Well Santa will be able to find it!" Then I said (in my head) "Oh Shit!"
*It is available on Amazon.com from their (black) Market sellers for a 200% markup...yeah, cuz we want to pay $200+ for LEGOS!!! #somepeoplejustsuck #pricegougemuch #parentingishard
9) Even though I deferred on the Turkey Trot, I still received an email with pictures and race results. I'm SOOO glad I deferred as the race was heavily populated by people from my school/work. I really try to keep my work and private life separate but of course in this (good 'ol boy) town, it can be hard to do and I occasionally run into people why running errands on the weekends. Of course, now there is next year for that race and I'll have to deal with it then...unless I'm living in FL or working elsewhere?!?!?
10) I keep flip-flopping between hairdressers...this time last year I jumped the boat on my regular gal as her schedule just did not mesh with mine at all and it was a complete hassle to try to get an appointment with her. Add to that, she was often running late and when I have to take Ethan, that just doesn't work. I don't want to spend 2 hours of my Saturday there, so I would always try to go on a weeknight, of which she doesn't work many. I like this new gal I've been going to now. Easy to schedule. Quick haircuts. Has only ran late 1 time and it was 10 minutes max. I can deal with that. The only issue is that after about 4-5 haircuts with new gal, my hair just doesn't seem "right"...it won't do what I want it to do etc. She also seems to have an aversion against hairspray and my hair is super fine and doesn't stay where it needs to unless using hairspray. Anyway, I'm going back to hairdresser #1 tomorrow for a cut. Now I will have to manufacture a "story" (lie) about how/where I got my haircut when I go back to the new hairdresser gal. Why do I feel like I need to give an explanation? Getting a haircut shouldn't be so challenging. Ack!!