Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Sunshine Santa 5k Race Recap

Once I accepted that fact that my leg was not ready to run the 1/2 marathon I had originally signed up for, I was able look forward to this race. I was really hoping that I would be able to run 1:1 pain-free-intervals and finish with a decent time, even if it wasn't a PR.  #wishfulthinking

Based on the forecast, I knew I would be wearing my running leggings (no shorts for me) as well as my Gapfit pullover sweatshirt. I have never had a problem being TOO warm. In hindsight, I wish I had a more Christmas-y outfit. Going to work on that for my next "race". Picked up some adorable Christmas socks today!!



Ethan and Oscar came with me (yay, I didn't have to hold on to any car keys) and we arrived quicker than I thought - this was a new running location for me and I wasn't sure just how long it would take us to get there. I picked up my packet, which included a (flimsy) Santa hat, of which they were quickly running out of and a "performance" long sleeve shirt. When I see the word "performance" or "wicking" my brain immediately thinks "go up a size" and so I did and well, that strategy was a fail this time around...the shirt is huge. On the bright side, the front of the shirt looks like a Santa jacket so I don't anticipate wearing it anywhere so I guess the size doesn't matter.


Here is a very UNflattering picture of me after the race.
I ended up wearing the shirt to run in since it was so cold.
It is so big that it fits loosely over the shirt AND sweatshirt that I was already wearing.
Sadly, within the first 1/2 mile my leg was unhappy and I knew I was going to be walking a lot more than I had hoped. Ugh....I am beyond frustrated with this hamstring thing...it's been 7 weeks now and it's still not completely healed. Even worse, the PT "discharged" me from PT telling me to rest it for 2 weeks and I should be better. Um no!

Thankfully I already had an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon scheduled as a follow up to the crazy knee surgery of 2013, so I moved it up to next week and I'll talk to him about the hamstring (again) as well. The only bummer is that I can't get in this week, before the 1/2 marathon I have on Sunday. Yep, can't defer, can't get a refund, so I'm going. I may not be walking on Monday...but I'll have a shiny new medal to show for it. Ha!

So I'm resting as much as possible this week in hopes for the best outcome possible on Sunday. What totally bums me out is that when I registered for this race, I had hoped it would be a test run for the WDW Princess and give me an idea of what my finish time would be. Now, it's just a walk/run for exercise...and the forecast calls for rain. Seriously!

No comments: