Tuesday, January 19, 2010

high school 1989 vs 2010

~so i started my Practicum last Thursday.

~i will be at a local high school all day Thursdays and 1/2 the day on Fridays (hence no Twitter/Email/Computer time for me)

~anyway, I am completely blown away by the changes in high school compared to when I attended...back in the stone ages.

(1) students get a syllabus for each class, take it home & their parents sign it....in essence, they know what they need to do for the course etc...you know like IN COLLEGE!!! I thought syllabi only existed at the college level...not anymore!!

(2) scheduling...holy moly...how confusing is this...there are "blocks", "cores" and "classes"...wth is the difference? I still don't know but I think I'll know in a month or so. Back when I went to high school, it was pretty simple...6 hours, each hour was a different class...not too hard to figure out.

(3) lunch!! we could NOT leave the building without an act of God...nowadays kids can leave for lunch or even better...have their dad drop off Subway...how freakin' cool is that? Oh yeah..and they have vending machines in the hallways...i don't think vending machines had been invented yet when I went to high school (kidding...but we didn't have any in school, that's for sure)

I'm sure there will be many more shocking changes to come as I get used to my new "workplace"...

Oh and I lost .8 lbs this past week to bring my grand total to 15lbs!!! Hooray!! That should definitely make a difference in my running ability come March 7th!!!

8 comments:

Fidgeting Gidget said...

Wow! We only had syllabi for our college prep/advanced placement classes when I was in school. We weren't allowed to leave the building, which I think is a blessing to businesses around (remember my "I think Sbux should be an 18+ establishment" post?). We did have hot Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookies served in the cafe every Monday morning...yum!

I think another thing you're going to find about high school students that appalls me is how "knowledgeable" they are about certain things these days.....

Larissa Holland said...

hey, there! i got the road rug at IKEA for el cheapo. love IKEA.

Travel & Dive Girl said...

Ahhh, I miss high school. Even back in my day, it was a helluva a lot more fun that working for a living.

Congratulations on your weight loss! You have done awesome in such a short period of time.

Chandra said...

Congrats on your weight loss! That's a tremendous accompishement!

I graduated in 88' so I'm right there with you on the whole HS thing..kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore.

Valerie said...

When I was in high school we didn't get a syllabus. No way! We had a block schedule and different "graduation plans." Something like recommended, honorary and distinguished. Strange. My freshman year Seniors were allowed to leave campus, but when we moved to our new high school they took that away. They had open block though for people who worked. AND we had a ton of vending machines. TON!

Pretty Zesty said...

Oh wow, I wonder how my school has changed? Hmmmm...

ps I have a giveaway going on my blog. Stop by if you can to enter!

Lisa Michelle said...

Well I graduated 8 years after you. We had Burgers, Fries, Pizza all a part of our healthy lunch options. We only had hours which was equivalent to 1 credit for graduation. We had a daycare in our school for all the teen parents (yes I was one of them...don't judge :-)) We did have vending machines but they didn't go on until AFTER school. Oh and my school had about 600+ students in each graduating class.

Now on to the newest - Lucy is in HS now. She has block scheduling, they can leave campus if they have high honors and are either a jr or sr. they do not have a large assortment of vending machines, but they do have Rocky Rocco's pizza everyday for lunch. as far as syllabi? every class has one. I have to sign them too! It's like extra credit points for her..

Anonymous said...

We had an open campus in high school and could leave for lunch. There was also a smoker's wall. I don't know why they never stopped that. Technically it was on the sidewalk, which I guess wasn't school property, but still. We also had vending machines in the student union. Only two, I think.