Friday, December 24, 2010

Reverb - Day 24

Disclaimer: I'm skipping Day 23 because that prompt was totally lame IMO.

Everything's OK. 

What was the best moment that could serve as proof that everything is going to be alright? And how will you incorporate that discovery into the year ahead?

Another challenging prompt as I'm not sure I can identify one moment in the entire year of 2010 when I ever would have thought that "everything was going to be alright" and I'm not just saying that...I'm totally serious. A lot of changes need to happen in my life before I would ever come close to thinking "everything is going to be alright"...I guess that's the result of being at the lowest point in my life ever. Instead of life getting better as I age, it's progressively gotten worse. Here's hoping things get turned around in 2011...because I'm quite tired of hoping the "next" year is better...it's yet to happen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that the concept of "alright" is overrated. And discouraging. And a lot of times, for specific situations, unrealistic and just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Like, am I ever going to be "alright" that Caitlin died? No. Is Julia ever going to be "alright"? Maybe, but probably not, at least in terms of "alright" being "a normally developing child with normal skills". Am I ever going to "alright" with that? Probably not.

Instead I think it's better to focus on doing/being/dealing the best you can at any given moment. Like right now, I am dealing with my second Christmas without Caitlin the best that I can - which means, I'm doing whatever doesn't make me sad, and skipping what does, because right now my kids don't know the difference. Next year it'll be different.

That was supposed to sound more insightful, but I am distracted by music and the girls playing with David in the other room, so I lost my insightful train of thought! But you get my drift.

Anonymous said...

Haha, I missed that lame reference when I read this in Google Reader. My name would be Susie Newberry. For some reason we cannot remember, David and I made up alter egos - Phil & Susie Newberry. Our middle names (Philip and Susan) and I do not even know Newberry. Haha!

Tricia said...

I wonder if my life will ever be alright again? I think for me the best year of my life was 2004, husband was still doing well, I graduated from grad school, I was anticipating moving back to NY where my family is, I thought things were all downhill from there.

Sadly, my husband's MS has gotten much worse, despite grad school MBA my career options died out here, and while I love my family my husband hates being here and harasses me almost daily about making him move here.

In 2004 the world was mine and now I get my ass handed to me on a regular basis. I wonder if I will ever have another peak? :(