Monday, December 06, 2010

Reverb - Day 6

Make. 

What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

What a fun prompt!!!

It seems I'm almost always making something...usually scrapbook related. I haven't actually completed a layout in a few weeks and I've got about 2-3 mini-books in progress, so I'm going to focus this post on a different craft project that I recently made. I'm really excited to share it with you too!

I've been working in Centers with the kindergarten classes at school and well, this time of year, they need a bit more help to complete all their Christmas projects with the kiddos.

I helped the kids make an Advent Wreath...but not just any ordinary Advent Wreath...this one is made from split peas and Elmer's Glue!! For the candles we used wooden clothespins that they painted a day prior...3 purple, 1 pink. The "flame" is a gold pipe cleaner. Adorable!!

I meant to make one with Ethan over the weekend and completely forgot, but I've now added it to my "list" so I'll be sure to pick up the peas tomorrow (or Wed) so we can make one together on Wednesday night. I think we'll use real candles though. :)

It was crazy messy...but oh so fun. 

For our classes, we used 1/2 bag of a split peas and a whole lotta glue. Fill bowl with peas and glue. Insert hands and mix until all peas are covered in glue. Place on a paper plate covered with wax paper. Form into a donut/wreath shape. Insert "candles" and shape peas around base of candles to stabilize. Add extra clue into candle bases for additional support. Be generous with the glue. Don't worry, it will dry clear and not be seen.

You can also add some red beads for your "berries".

Such a super cute project. Try making one with your kiddos!!

1 comment:

emilysuze said...

I think I need to see a picture of your split pea wreath! :)